Sometimes I am random and to celebrate this I would like to share a silly selection of childhood Afropolitan memories:
- Rice stored in the margarine container in the fridge rather than tupperware.
- School pack lunch placed in an ice cream tub, much to your embarrassment, whilst all your other friends had nice, child friendly tupperware. To be fair, this only lasted for a short period of time (thanks Dad for the intervention).
- Sandwich fillings – when your mum decides to make your packed lunch for a school trip and includes sardines, mackerel, boiled eggs- basically the smelliest fillings she can find deliberately designed to embarrass you. Meanwhile all your friends are eating Dairylea and cheese and ham.
- Old clothes used as floor rags.
- Always had a tin of ‘African milk’- condensed milk in the cupboard just in case.
- Old tights being used as a bedtime scarf.
- Mum styled your hair in threads because it grows your hair quickly but really it’s just an invitation for ridicule.
- Parents generous with their wisdom and their backhands too.
- You had to ask before you could help yourself to a snack at home.
- Saturday morning was spent food shopping and the dreaded visit to the market.
- You remember using the ‘broom’ even though you had a Hoover that worked perfectly fine.
- Having to do chores on Saturday before going out to play and feeling like you are missing out even though eventually the parents would let you- FREEDOM!
- Child of the 80’s living in London, I guarantee your front room had one of the following; brick wall paper, beaded curtains or a random cocktail bar.
- Visiting that one relative on the weekend when you really didn’t want to but had no choice. Felt like temporary imprisonment /punishment when all your friends were out playing and you were made to go against your will. Worst of all that person’s home was so BORING- nothing remotely child friendly about that environment but you had to suck it up!
- The ice cream van in the summer- 50p- screwballs/ Feast or the 99 – ice cream with the strawberry sauce and chocolate flake – brought many a smile to my face as a child!
What random childhood memories do you have? Would love to hear them x
One thought on “Random Afropolitan Childhood memories”
Haha! You forgot the one where they threaten to force you to take fufu as packed lunch, light soup and all. Made me behave quickly!